CloudWATCH2 - Think Cloud Services for Government, Business and Research
CloudWATCH2, Think Cloud Services for Government, Business and Research, launched on 1 September 2015, which leads on from the successful CloudWATCH project which finishes on 30 September 2015.
Building on the success and outpus of CloudWATCH, CloudWATCH2 takes a pragmatic approach to market uptake and sustainable competitiveness for the wider uptake of new cloud services and products from European research and innovation initiatives. Running until August 2017, CloudWATCH2 helps R&I initiatives to overcome challenging issues like standards and pricing to maximise the socio-economic impact of this new cloud ecosystem.
Context and motivation
- A cloud market structure roadmap with transparent pricing to enable R&I projects to chart exploitation paths in ways they had not previously considered, or help them avoid approaches that would not have been successful.
- Mapping the EU cloud ecosystem of products, services and solutions emerging from EU R&I projects. Identifying software champions and best practices in mitigating risks associated with open source projects, and ultimately, enable faster time-to-value and commercialisation.
- Concertation for clustering and convergence on common themes and challenges. Re-use of technologies will also be of paramount importance.
- Promoting trusted & secure services through roadshows and deep dive training sessions. Giving R&I initiatives a route to users at major conferences or in local ICT clusters.
- A portfolio of standards for interoperability and security that can facilitate the realisation of an ecosystem of interoperable services for Europe.
- Cloud interoperability testing in an international developer-oriented and hands-on environment. Findings will be transferred into guidance documents and standards.
- Risk management and legal guides to the cloud for private and public organisations to lower barriers and ensure a trusted European cloud market.