DICE will deliver innovative development methods and tools to strengthen the competitiveness of small and medium Independent Software Vendors in the market of business-critical data-intensive applications (DIA).
Leveraging the DevOps paradigm and the innovative Big Data technologies of nowadays, DICE will offer a complete open source solution for the Quality-Driven Development of cloud-based DIA.
Large IT-based organisations with multiple market segments and multiple DIA needs.
Big Data Infrastructure Providers (Cloud services providers, Archiving Solution Providers etc.)
Consulting Companies that are providing quality engineering services to organisations of Private and Public sector.
Academic and Research Institutes dealing with research on Software Engineering, DIA and Big Data technologies.
Public Sector organisations or NGOs that are dealing with Big Data analysis (e.g. Governmental Financial Bodies and Services, Public Transportation Organisations, Energy Related Organisations etc.), need to upgrade the existing infrastructure or obtain a modern one in order to enhance and enrich the quality of the provided services.
- Defines a quality-aware Model-Driven Architecture methodology inspired by DevOps for data-intensive cloud applications.
- Advances data-intensive-applications by offering an open source development environment.
- Provides tools for the quality assessment of Data Intensive Applications.
- Helps in customizing Big Data technologies and architectures.
- Maintains a repository of artifacts for reuse by the community.
- Uses a flexible cloud environment for deployment and production.
DICE can be seen as part of the DevOps movement as it provides a set of tools that facilitates flow of information from Dev to Ops mediated by a model-driven approach and enables operations monitoring and anomaly detection capabilities to facilitate flow of information from Ops to Dev.
Moreover, DICE offers the following tenets in the context of DevOps:
- Thanks to the DICE profile, it enables the DIA design with proper operational annotations that facilitate design time simulation and optimizations. ‘Dev’ and ‘Ops’ can work side by side to improve and enhance application design using simulation and optimization tools that offers refactoring of architectural designs.
- Includes monitoring and tools that exploit the monitoring data to detect anomalies and to optimize the configurations of applications, also the monitoring data is exploited by tools to offer feedback to the architectural design to identify the bottlenecks and refactor architecture.
- DICE also offers tools for automating delivery and continuous integrations facilitate integrating design-time and runtime tools in DICE and also offering DevOps automations.
The DICE Value Proposition is to deliver innovative development methods and tools to strengthen the competitiveness of small and medium Independent Software Vendors in the market of business-critical data-intensive applications.
Leveraging the DevOps paradigm and the innovative Big Data technologies of nowadays, DICE will offer an open source solution for quality-driven development. By distributing the solution on the Eclipse Market Place, the DICE framework will be exposed to a large base of potential end-users. We could build a solid base of expert users who will rapidly become DICE developers.
DICE adopts a licensing model that includes multiple licensing and dual versioning. Such models are known in the open source communities as simple ways to make open source software more sustainable. Since both models involve the sales of the software for commercial uses, such income can be used to cover costs related to further development of the solution.