The ElasTest project main objective is to improve the efficiency, productivity, code reusability and effectiveness of the testing process of large distributed software systems. In this regard, ElasTest provides software testers the tools to instrument the software under test, orchestrate complex tests from simpler ones, and recommends good test practices.
ElasTest is a solution specifically designed for developers and testers. By leveraging ElasTest, both groups can benefit from ElasTest in different ways.
The ElasTest solution is oriented to software developers and software testers. It is specifically focused on end-to-end and integration tests, where the application is assessed from the end-user point of view. Hence, Quality Assurance departments can benefit from ElasTest's capacity for running and defining complex tests from simpler ones. ElasTest provides good visualization of these end-to-end tests, enables the definition of new tests from existing ones, and allows testers to define the conditions to be applied to the software to test it on real conditions.
ElasTest can help you become more efficient and faster by reducing the time since you find a defect in your software until you find what's causing it. It helps you become more secure, because software that has been tested using ElasTest is more confident. It helps you become cost-effective by reducing the time-to-market for bug fixings, by reducing the efforts in building tests, and by enabling new kind of end-to-end tests. All these benefits led to shipping products with fewer errors.
ElasTest is focused on two main outcomes:
- Improving the efficiency, productivity and code reusability of the testing process in large complex distributed applications;
- Improving the effectiveness of the testing process and, with it, the quality of the system under test.
To accomplish both objectives, ElasTest will provide a cloud platform designed to be helpful in the testing and validation of large software systems. This platform will maintain compatibility with current testing practices, while at the same time, enhancing current practices with different types of enablers:
- Test Support Services designed for helping developers and testers define simple tests using capabilities commonly provided by third party services like monitoring of the software, browsers, or IoT devices.
- Instrumentation capabilities to reproduce custom operational conditions for the system under test
- Orchestration of tests, for creating complex tests by composing simpler ones
- Recommendation engine, for re-using knowledge about the testing process to help other testers in designing their own tests
In addition, to guarantee ElasTest long-term sustainability, an open source ecosystem and community will be created around it, and most ElasTest components will be open-source.